Skip to Content

Temporary accommodation may be arranged in premises that have not been approved for overnight stays or accommodation in the valid building permit, subject to certain conditions. Temporary accommodation may require a building permit, and in order to determine the need for a building permit, the building control authority must be contacted.

The rescue authority supervises that temporary accommodation complies with the requirements of the Rescue Act (379/2011). In the occupant of the accommodation building for which the emergency plan is made must indicate how independent preparedness is implemented in the temporary accommodation activities. The joint instructions of the rescue departments on the safety arrangements of temporary accommodation describe in more detail what should be taken into account in the emergency plan and safety arrangements.

The occupant of the accommodation building must submit the emergency plan in good time before the intended temporary accommodation begins to the rescue authority in the area. It is recommended to submit the emergency plan at least two weeks before the start of temporary accommodation activities so that the emergency plan can be processed appropriately and, if necessary, advice can be provided to supplement the emergency plan. The emergency plan can be submitted using an electronic notification form or by email at You can also send it by post to the following address:

City of Helsinki 
Rescue Department/supervision of public events 
PO Box 112 

Instructions and forms about temporary accommodation in places of assembly (in Finnish)

Experts on temporary accommodation in places of assembly

Joint email address:

The on-call fire inspector

The on-call fire inspector
09 310 31203

The on-call fire inspector answers Helsinki residents’ questions about fire safety Mon–Fri at 9.00–11.00 and 12.00–14.00 and by email at Mon–Fri at 9.00–15.00.

If you have any questions about a specific fire inspection, please contact the fire inspector who carried out the inspection directly. You can find the contact information in, for example, the fire inspection report.