Skip to Content

Minor and large-scale industrial processing, storage

The storage of hazardous chemicals is divided into three categories:

  1. Storage. The amount of hazardous chemicals does not exceed the notification threshold, but still requires diligence and caution. The regulatory authority is the rescue department.
  2. Minor industrial processing and storage exceeding the notification limit of the rescue department. The regulatory authority is the rescue department.
  3. Large-scale industrial processing and storage that exceeds the notification threshold of Tukes. The regulatory authority is Tukes.

Even small amounts must be stored with diligence and caution. Good practices and adequate solutions are presented in the Tukes guide (In Finnish) on the handling and storage of hazardous chemicals.

Report on the reporting obligation

Determine the scope of the activity with the Kemidigi ratio calculator (In Finnish). For ratio calculation, you need

  • the amount of chemicals (tonnes), and
  • the safety data sheet (Section 2.1 Classification of the substance or mixture, Hazard statements).

All managed, handled and stored chemicals under the control of the property, plot or operator are taken into account in determining the notification obligation. Empty LPG containers and chemicals in equipment also count towards the total.

If the hazardous chemicals exceed the notification or permit threshold, the calculator indicates the state authority for which the notification or authorisation application must be prepared and submitted. The result of the calculation is shown on the tab “Ratio calculation result”. If you do not have a duty to notify, the same tab will tell you that this quantity of chemicals does not require a notification.

Chemical notification to the rescue department

On the basis of a chemical notification prepared by the operator, the rescue department makes a chemical decision on the site and performs a commissioning inspection. The notification must be submitted to the rescue authority one (1) month before the start of operations or the introduction of the chemicals. The notification and its attachments must be submitted to the rescue department in whose area the operations take place. The notification form and instructions can be found on the website of the local rescue department. Please contact the rescue department if you need more information and instructions.

Read more:

Act on the Safe Handling and Storage of Dangerous Chemicals and Explosives (390/2005, In Finnish), sections 35–36
Government Decree on the Control of the Handling and Storage of Dangerous Chemicals (685/2015, In Finnish), sections 45–50
Storage of flammable liquids, aerosols and gases in shops (In Finnish)
Kemidigi ratio calculator (Tukes, In Finnish)
Chemicals (Tukes)
Storage of flammable liquids in shops (Tukes, in Finnish)
Clarifications on the storage of flammable liquids and gases in shops (Tukes, in Finnish)
Dangerous chemicals in industry (Tukes)
Consumer safety information (household chemicals, Tukes)