New property with fire detector
When building a property with an automatic fire detector system, the Rescue Department needs information about the new fire detector system well in advance.
Target card template, in Finnish (please send the card to the Rescue Department in Word format)
Send the documents to the Rescue Department at pelastuslaitos(a)espoo.fi.
In case of changed information
When there are changes to the information related to the property with the fire detector – for example, the manager of the fire detector changes or the property changes ownership – it is important to notify the Rescue Department of the changes. Communicate the new information on the above-mentioned target card template by sending an updated target card in Word format to pelastuslaitos(a)espoo.fi.
Be sure to also notify the Emergency Response Centre of any changes. Instructions and a form for updating the information can be found on the Emergency Response Centre website
For example, in the event of repairs, equipment failure or maintenance work, it may be necessary to temporarily deactivate the fire detection system.
Faulty fire alarms
Up to 90% of automatic fire alarm alarms are faulty. For the Rescue Department, a faulty fire alarm means a verification task where there is no need for fire-fighting or rescue operations, but the task is nonetheless binding on the personnel and rescue equipment.
A faulty fire alarm causes a disturbance in the operation of the property, keeps the rescue service units away from real emergencies and creates unnecessary risks in traffic due to the emergency call. The Rescue Act 379/2011 gives the rescue department the right to charge the property when the property’s fire detector has repeatedly transmitted false fire alarms.
Written demand for repairs
The Rescue Department sends the property a written demand for repairs for the second faulty fire alarm that has occurred during twelve consecutive months. The demand for repairs is sent to the owner, occupant or operator or to any other party who has entered into a fire alarm contract with the Emergency Response Centre for the site.
Upon receipt of a demand for repairs, the property has fourteen days to take measures to avoid faulty fire alarms, during which time a faulty fire alarm cannot be charged for.
Third faulty fire alarm
For the third or subsequent faulty fire alarm that has occurred during twelve consecutive months, an invoice is sent to the property with the fire detector. The rate to be paid is decided by the Board of Directors of the Rescue Department. The invoice is sent to the party who entered into a fire alarm contract with the Emergency Response Centre.
For example, in the case of the fifth faulty fire alarm in a twelve-month period, the third, fourth and fifth alarms are charged for. The fees for rescue services can be found in our service price list.
Reasons for alarms invoiced as faulty:
- Negligence in the repair, installation or maintenance of a property (e.g. dust arising from construction work, hot work)
- Vehicle exhaust gas
- Other smoke or dust in the property
- Humidity or water
- Temporary high temperature
- Impact on the detector
- Detector failure in fire detection or extinguishing equipment
- Fault in central equipment
- Breakage of sprinkler or malfunction of extinguishing equipment
- Leakage in the sprinkler piping
- Mistake or misuse
- Pressure shock caused by the water supply network
- Reaction of the fire detector to conventional cooking
- Negligence in hot work
- Repeated fault-checking task transmitted by the Emergency Response Centre
- Power source fault
- Other reasons due to the operation of the property or negligence
- Unknown reason (for example, a dirty or expired detector)
Faulty alerts not charged for:
- Building fire, wildfire, vehicle fire, other fire
- First-response task or other emergency situation where the fire alarm button has been pressed
- Building fire hazard
- Explosion/danger of explosion
- Accident caused by hazardous substances
- Other overvoltage or high frequency interference
- Overvoltage or damage caused by lightning
For example, in the event of a wildfire or car fire in the vicinity of a building, the Rescue Department does not issue a demand for repairs or an invoice. Where necessary, discretion may be exercised.
Further information from the Länsi-Uusimaa Rescue Department:
contacts by e-mail : erheet(a)espoo.fi
Forms relating to invoice complaints: