Charge batteries safely
The Rescue Department asks everyone to pay attention to the safe charging of lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries.
These batteries are commonly used in home electronics, such as mobile phones, laptops, power tools and recreational equipment (e.g. electric scooters and massage guns).
How to charge batteries safely:
- Under supervision.
Never leave your device unattended while charging. Do not charge devices overnight.
- In a safe place and on a safe surface.
Make sure that there are no flammable materials nearby. Batteries may explode and the fire may spread into the surroundings. The temperature of a battery fire may rise very rapidly.
- In a room with a functioning smoke detector.
If there is a fire, the alarm will go off and you will have enough time to leave the room. If possible, close the door behind you to prevent the fire from spreading.
- Use a functioning device.
Do not charge a faulty device. If the device is damaged (e.g. due to being dropped on the floor), makes a strange sound or heats up, you should not charge or use the device.
- Only use a suitable charger.
Charge batteries using a charger that was provided with the device or is otherwise approved for charging the device.
- Have fire extinguishing equipment readily available.
In addition to a fire blanket, it makes sense to have a portable fire extinguisher at home. Only try to extinguish a fire if you can do it safely. Splashing battery chemicals may cause a hazard, and the gas discharged from the battery is toxic.
Read more: Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (in Finnish)
The picture shows an electric device that caught fire during charging. The battery came out of the device during the fire, causing the surroundings to catch fire.